 Off-Topic / Debate / 5158
Re: Is Heaven recursive? and other perplexing questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:47:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
I'm on my way to bed, but I just saw something on Slashdot which got me
wondering a few things about Creation again...

Isn't reading Slashdot before trying to sleep kinda like watching _Titanic_
before going on a cruise?  ;-)

OK, ever since I was a child, I always wondered:  If God made the universe,
then who made God?  (That's the classic question.)
What if Heaven wasn't actually the forever-and-ever afterlife after life, but
only the next stage of life?

Todd, are you sure you're not a Mormon?  :-O  :-,  You're touching upon some
very basic beliefs from my church.

If they exist, are Heaven Hell and Hell Heaven the same thing or different
things?

Pardonez-moi whilst I speculate...

I think they're the same thing, but seen through different eyes.  Or, perhaps
Hell is a state of mind that one chooses over joy.  For the sappy and preachy
movie it was, _What Dreams May Come_ looked at it in this way -- our
protagonist's wife was in Hell because she *chose* to be punished for her
actions.  I'm not sure it works that way, but I can see the appeal.

What if this Life now here on Earth that we live is actually a Heaven for a
previous life we lived as something else?

Mmmmm, reincarnation.  It's emotionally fulfilling, *and* circular by
definition.

Todd, is your question asking whether a previous life was in this world, or in
a previous one?  (Or in the next one, if time flows that way for you.  :-)

If there is a long or infinite series of worlds, would it loop back on itself?
Would there be a chance to get off?  Could it have a start but no finish, or no
beginning but have an end?

Or is it that there's just one world, our Soul Counter remains about the same,
and we're slowly bringing more and more souls into human bodies at the expense
of the animals?  Perhaps the Big Test is to bring everyone into a human body?
(Take *that* PETA.)

An interesting question.  I would *love* to investigate this personally and
get back to you with the results, but I still have a few things I want to
accomplish before I die.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  To paraphrase Barenaked Ladies, what do we see when we dream?