 Off-Topic / Debate / 5124
Re: Ad hominem attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:19:46 GMT

At least during the Reagan years there may have been shenanigans but there was
a consistent articulated vision that was being achieved despite them. We won
the cold war thanks to Ronny.

Liberal, conservative, democrat, republican: They are all politicians.  Can't
trust one of 'em!  :-)

I'd credit Kennnedy for the cold war victory, by the way, not Ronny.  The
extremely short form: Kennedy makes Kruschev look bad over cuban missle crisis,
Brushnev and others overthrow Kruschev.  They have learned their lesson if they
want to stay in power - don't let the USSR look bad in a confrontation with the
US, because some other weasel will overthrow them.  So, they spend a few
mega-zillion rubles keeping up with the Jones' military hardware.  This works
for a while, but siphoning off the entire GNP of the Soviet Union to feed the
military has a disaterous effect of Soviet economy.  Still, its a BIG place and
can take a lot of abuse.  Presidents come and go, but Breshnev is still in
there spending them into oblivion.  Why?  Because he is still applying the
Kennedy lesson.  Skip his two short-lived followers and go onto Gorbachov, who
clearly sees the coming disaster, but can't stop the fall.  It didn't happen
overnight, but neither could it be stopped and fixed overnight.

Reagan kept the pressure on perhaps, but the roots of the Soviet fall were long
in place.

Bruce