 Off-Topic / Debate / 5116
Re: Ad hominem attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:50:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
I ran across this nosing around. I found it interesting.

http://www.reason.com/0004/fe.rl.show.html

I'd ask, is it appropriate for cigarette taxes to fund groups engaged in
political diatribe, character assassination and compiling "enemies
lists"?

It seems that McCarthyism (spelling?) has returned to America.
Or, perhaps, we could coin a more modern phrase: Agendaism.

I like that coinage.

<snipped what I agree with>

I sincerely hope
that this November we can put an end to this sad period in American politics.

If there were a substantive difference in kind between the GOP and the Dems I'd
say maybe. But there isn't, and I fear Dubya has cronies of his own. Perhaps
they won't be as venal as the Clinton gang but who can say for sure.

At least during the Reagan years there may have been shenanigans but there was
a consistent articulated vision that was being achieved despite them. We won
the cold war thanks to Ronny.

But we've switched to a reactive presidency. Bush was reactive but mostly
harmless. Clinton is reactive and his only vision is to stay in power. He'll
say or do anything to achieve that.

Here's another Reason link that talks to this point:

http://www.reason.com/0004/fe.cf.secrets.html

++Lar