 Off-Topic / Debate / 5174
Re: Ad hominem attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:50:24 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Liberal, conservative, democrat, republican: They are all politicians. • Can't
trust one of 'em!  :-)

Disagree.

Oh alright.  You can probably find some politicians untainted by the process
somewhere.  You were supposed to laugh, not argue!  :-)

Again I'd point to the LP track record (if I just could dig it
up in 90 secs, it's out there somewhere) in the limited situations where
we have had elected officials,

And you'll kindly notice that I didn't mention Libertarians above!  Not that I
thought they had won even a single seat anywhere except a few obscure state
government spots.  Besides they are in the "crackpots" category and not
"professional politicians" category - the latter is the insult, not the former,
just to clarify.  :-)

we've hewn to our word and done what we
could do to dismantle the biggest foolishnesses. cf. Alaska and NH. Not
perfect, mind you, there is no Utopia... but we're the guys trying to
change the system to the point where corruption is structurally much
more difficult to even achieve. Everyone else is just tinkering with the
rules.

A matter of opinion as to whether what they are doing is desirably or not, but
Libertarians in general are idealists (okay, "crackpots", OoooOOOooo...) and
not pragmatic politicians.

However I agree that the D and R parties tend to foster cronyism at the
least and outright venality at the worst.

Idunno, I think you are letting them off lightly!  :-0

I'd credit Kennnedy for the cold war victory, by the way, not Ronny.

Tell ya what. Let's credit both of them. In a compromise viewpoint,
Kennedy laid the foundation and Reagan finished the job. How's that?

Hmmmm, could the Soviet Union have salvaged itself by the time Ronny came
along?  And had Carter continued in office, would they have done so?  It was
probably so rotten to the core by then that any good shove would do it.  I tend
to think they had doomed themselves by that time, Ronny or not (they were
already in Afghanistan), but will certainly conceed that he may well have
pushed 'em over the brink.  It's one of those things we will probably need
historical perspective (time) to get a better handle on.

Bruce