 Off-Topic / Debate / 5073
Re: LEGOLAND.CC Auction WAS: (Re: The Nugator Company for Sale ???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:45:08 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote in message <38D83277.B6E578E0@cleanweb.net>...

Kevin Salm wrote
Hey, excellent pointer.  Wow--all that legal stuff.  I just read 99% of • it and
I have to agree with the decision.  One statement made by the court judge • that
I particularly agree with is this:

      "If another Internet user has an innocent and legitimate reason for
      using the famous mark as a domain name and is the first to register
      it, that user should be able to use the domain name, provided that
      it has not otherwise infringed upon or diluted the trademark."

As per my previous argument, this was my point and I think that the court • judge
made a fine decision based upon an exhaustive finding of fact.

Yes. I think this auction, as earlier posted, was a case for
infringement, because the sellers intent was to use the LEGO brand name
to motivate someone to buy it. "Make Millions off of LEGO," and all
that.

Scott S.

Without a doubt, that is the seller's obvious intent.  What can TLC legally
do about intent??  I do not know, but my guess in this situation is nothing
short of buying up the domain name themselves.

As of now, the auction is for a URL currently occupied by a site
squatter--no trademark dilution case for TLC here.  Blank pages cannot
dilute trademarks very much.
No statues have been broken in regard to registering and reselling domain
names with the intent of financial gain--as far as I know.  No mention of
specific products or services is mentioned or what the URL name can and
could be used for.  The seller is relying on inferences by you as to what
the domain name can and could be used for.

I have decided that I would like to purchase this domain name and then open
up shop as an online mortician who specializes in dropping bodies out of
airplanes flying over oceans or mountains with the slogan:       Lego--or
else you fall, too.

Okay, that was not serious.  Apologies if I offended anyone for any reason.

    Kevin Salm
    ....The biggest fan of the Gray Lego brick....