 Off-Topic / Debate / 4318
4317  |  4319
Subject:
Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:59:46 GMT

Arg.  I gotta vent.

Slashdot is carrying an article (1) on how the Utah legislature is trying to
enfore internet filtering in public libraries.  Somehow, this topic has become
a Mormon-bashing extravaganza.  I was going to post there, but I suspect that
I'll find more level-headed people on LUGNET.  I still might post there, I
dunno.

I'm a Mormon.  I suspect that there are other members of my church on LUGNET.
I try to pay tithing and try to live a good life.  I donate when I can to
humanitarian causes.  I strive to make my life a better one.

Also at the root of my nature is the American Dream.  The big Melting Pot, the
Land of Opportunity.  I don't enforce my morals onto others.  I recognize
peoples' rights, their obligations to diversity and free agency.  I understand
desires, dreams and vices; I have my own to deal with.

A big nit I'm always picking is that people often interpret that BYU ==
Mormons == BYU.  I never have, nor will I ever attend, BYU.  It served a good
purpose long ago when it was founded; now it's a quaint relic, struggling to
redefine its purpose as the world matures without it.

I'm just as upset about BYU housing restrictions as the next resident; I doubt
I'll ever let any of my rental properties (yes, I own rental properties, great
retirement package) become "BYU approved".  See, if you want to attend BYU,
you have to live in approved housing, which waives many of your rights as well
as many rights of your landlord.  That concept is aggressively monopolistic,
borderline illegal, and the result of delusions of school administration, but
*not* of the gospel.

In fact, legislating morality goes against the concept of free agency, which
is core to our beliefs.  As per the gospel, the best you can do is instruct
and give example, and let people make their own decisions; everyone will get
their reckoning eventually.

And my church is anything but monopolistic nor is it imperialistic.
Missionaries  aren't given conversion quotas.  We aren't instructed to
alienate non-member neighbors and friends (rather, just the opposite).  Fer
crying out loud, Mormons *gave away* the land to the Catholic church for the
Catherdral of the Madeline, and helped with its construction.

My church has an honorable purpose.  Many people within the church have done
some *good* things.  Many people within the curch have made some *bad*
mistakes.  What many people do not understand is that you will find this in
any large organization, where people often (wrongly) feel a need to prove
their church or morals or agenda or whatever to themselves.

Still, because I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints, I am marked as a zealot seeking political leverage using my church as
the crowbar.  Fume.  If anyone here in lugnet.off-topic.debate wants to flame
me for the religion I practice, please feel free to do so.  I'd really love to
have a rational discussion about this with anyone who harbors negative (or
neutral) feelings towards Mormons.

Okay, venting over.  I feel better now.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/02/29/169254&mode=thread

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society