 Off-Topic / Debate / 4336
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 02:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Arg.  I gotta vent.

Slashdot is carrying an article (1) on how the Utah legislature is trying to
enfore internet filtering in public libraries.  Somehow, this topic has become
a Mormon-bashing extravaganza.  I was going to post there, but I suspect that
I'll find more level-headed people on LUGNET.  I still might post there, I
dunno.

I'm a Mormon as well, but a "bad" one, in that I don't attend church and have
serious issues with some of their policies and beliefs.

However, I see nothing wrong with :

(1) a Legislature that accurately reflects the majority of the populace making
decisions on how public facilities are to be used.

(2) Limiting the use of those facilities so that they cannot be used for
potentially illegal or immoral activities.

Most companies limit what their employees can access on the web at work, and I
see nothing wrong with that.  I'm using THEIR equipment.  If they don't want
me using it for something, then it's their business.

In the case of a library, they certainly "censor" their older media (books).
I don't find too many porno books in public libraries.  Why shouldn't the same
hold true for the internet.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.