 Off-Topic / Debate / 4335
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 02:29:14 GMT

Oh...don't get me started on separation of church and state.  Some recent • steps
in this country like posting the ten commandments in schools and teaching
creationism are complete violations of this in my opinion.

I agree, partially.  I would wholly endorse the Ten Commandments in school if
similarly profound texts from other religions were posted as well.  The
Constition doesn't seem to ban the government from mentioning or even
accepting religion; it just prevents the government from endorsing or giving
any preferential treatment.

Well spoken Jeremy, there is no such thing as Constitutional separation of
church and state.  The Constitution merely states that the government cannot
restrict the free exercise of religion.  Now this does have its limits, the
government would not allow a religion to institute a policy of virgin
sacrifice, or ritualistic torture.  But otherwise it must remain uninvolved.
Unfortunately Atheism has become the national religion here in the United
States, and its principles must be taught in school to the exclusion of all
other points of view.  Don't get me wrong, I disagree with posting the ten
commandments in public school.  I mean really what is the point?  What kid is
going to thing "Well I was going to murder several of my classmates, but now
that I see that the ten commandments tell me not to kill…"  Nor do I wholly
trust my child's religious training to public schools.  There must be balance,
one side cannot dominate the other.  Why is it that only moral people must be
tolerant?  Why is tolerance now synonymous with acceptance?

Why do I keep asking questions?
Scott