 Off-Topic / Debate / 4328
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:14:25 GMT

Patricia Schempp wrote:
Oh...don't get me started on separation of church and state.  Some recent steps
in this country like posting the ten commandments in schools and teaching
creationism are complete violations of this in my opinion.

I agree, partially.  I would wholly endorse the Ten Commandments in school if
similarly profound texts from other religions were posted as well.  The
Constition doesn't seem to ban the government from mentioning or even
accepting religion; it just prevents the government from endorsing or giving
any preferential treatment.

I feel that our state-sanctioned ignorance of world religions contributes much
to the phenomon of American arrogance.  If we learned at younger ages how
people from other cultures and religions feel and about what affects them on a
philosophical / spiritual leve, then perhaps we'd get along with others
better.

As for creationism, well, I've said my stance on that in here before.  If you
want to discuss it, give me enough time to don my abestos suit.  :-,

Of course my family
has a long history with this issue as my great uncle Ed Schempp was the one who
went to the supreme court to get bible reading out of schools.

Which I agree was a good move.  Bible study was being performed to the
exclusion of all other religious texts -- in effect, the public school system
was endorsing Christianity over, say, Judaism or Hinduism.  And perhaps the
solution -- total banishment of all religious activity in public schools --
was the most cost-effective; however, I don't feel that it necessarily helped
promote a healthy education.

And then you have the anti-religion fanatics who mis-interpret the Supreme
Court ruling, and give out detention slips to students who take time aside for
personal, silent prayer.  IMO, this is just an instance of one religion
supressing another.

He's a
character.  He also just had his 23rd birthday yesterday, making him 92.

Oh, wow.  Healthy guy!  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society