 Off-Topic / Debate / 4072
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:38:14 GMT

"Kyle D. Jackson" wrote:

        Yeah, Americans are Loud, rude and blunt, but hell, last time I
checked, we pulled saved everyone's ass in WWII and without us you would
have lost WWI too.
[snip]

Yes, the involvement of the USA in WW2 was pivotal.  But there were a great
number of nations involved in that conflict on "both sides".  The USA was but
one of them.  And for each of those nations, a great many people died.  Some
of my relatives, some of your's, pretty much some of everybody's.  Therefore,
nobody won.  To say so is sick!

Hunh?  We won.  You, and us, and the UK, and France, and Russia, and the
others.  We won.  What do you mean?  Sure people died, but that doesn't
change who won.

Are we grateful??  As a Canadian, I can say yes!  And I imagine many other
nations agree.  But to "rub it in", or state the obvious, just isn't right.

I think that this "we saved your butt" thing is a common response to
feeling like the rest of the western world picks on us.  For me
personally, I don't mind if you pick on us.  I know that it's due to our
success and I'm not ashamed of it.  That's just the way the world works.
I also think that telling people that we saved their butts is silly
because it won't help.  Either they know it or they don't.  Either
they're greatful or they aren't.

guess Americans should be proud that their citizens have made the ultimate
sacrifice to support what they think is right.  But so did a lot of other
nations, my own included.  To say American sacrifices were any more important
than someone else's is just plain wrong.

No one would claim that some individual US citizen's life is more
important than some individual Canadian's.  But's let's replay the war
without the US contribution and then again without the Canadian
contribution.  Do you see my point.  The "we saved your butts" thing is
silly, but it's still correct.

which seems to imply that he is from Germany.  In
that case then, did you really "save their butts"??

No, in that case, we saved their souls.

Chris