 Off-Topic / Debate / 4113
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:16:22 GMT

"we saved your butts"

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and I would bet most of the
Americans who fought in WWII would agree. To say "We fought & died along side
of you, in the fight for freedom" is more accurate. We're not talking about a
football game.

If you studied the history books you'd have realized that the war was won by a
global effort, not a knight in shining armour.

- What country had the most citizens killed per capita during WWII? (Canada)
Interesting because Canada was probably the least threatened country in the
world, by the events of WWII. Another interesting fact about the Canadian
military was that the number of native North American volunteers was greater
for their population, then those with European ancestry. I would say the native
North Americans had the absolute least to gain by a free Europe, but they
fought anyway - because it was right.

-If more people from Nebraska were in the military during the War, then from
any other state, do we owe a greater debt to the people of Nebraska, then from
Arkansas? Of course not. That would belittle the contribution of all the people
from Arkansas who fought & died.

- How many countries declared war against Japan after Pearl Harbor was bombed?
How many of those countries had already been at war for two years, but didn't
hesitate to join in. If you do a little digging you will find at least one
country that declared war on Japan, after the attack on Pearl Harbor, before
the United States did. I realize the United States government had bigger
problems at the time, then to write up a formal declaration, but so did the
rest of the world.

- How many countries supplied scientists & raw materials to aid in the American
(allied) war effort, and the effort to develop the atomic bomb? Do a little
digging, you might find it very interesting where some of the people &
materials came from.

- What was the size of the Canadian military during WWII? How many Canadians
fought along side of the Americans (and others) on the beaches of France? You
might be surprised at the numbers. For me the struggle of one single solder is
an overwhelming number, when I think that he was fighting for my freedom, when
my parents were children.

- Do you honestly believe Canada would have ever given up in it's fight to free
Europe or protect the Pacific? It would have just taken Canada & the rest of
it's allies longer.

- I also must mention that while the United States did not "officially" enter
into WWII until 1941, they were making significant contributions to the war
effort. Many Americans were also fighting their internal political bureaucracy
in an effort to play a more forceful roll in the war (include the President of
the United States).

- I honestly can't tell what would have happened if the United States had not
gotten involved in WWII, but I think the world would have been a darker place.

- Have pride in your countries accomplishments, just don't be blinded in to
believing yours is the only country that has things to be proud of.

On a lighter note - I wonder what Lego was doing during this time in history? I
think I'll check their web site...
MG

No one would claim that some individual US citizen's life is more
important than some individual Canadian's.  But's let's replay the war
without the US contribution and then again without the Canadian
contribution.  Do you see my point.  The "we saved your butts" thing is
silly, but it's still correct.

It seems to me there was a huge Canadian contribution & an insignificant US
contribution up until 1941. The war was almost played out without any US
involvement. Remember Canada, Australia, Southern Africa and many other areas
were great staging grounds for the Allies to rebuild. While the US may be
powerful, the rest of the world are hardly pushovers.

To say "you helped our butts" would be more accurate ;-)