 Off-Topic / Debate / 4094
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:44:35 GMT

Clint,

I fully supported you up until the WWII comment. It belittles the contributions
made by all the people who fought for freedom around the world, including
Americans.

I am Canadian, and have had both Canadian and American relatives die in WWII,
on the beaches of France. I do not consider the contribution of my Canadian
relative to be any more, or less valuable then my American relative.

I believe comments like these are why some of the less informed people around
the world have such ill feelings towards the USA. These comments are nothing
more then political rhetoric that cause people to chose sides. I realize the
comments were made after some uninformed person made an unprovoked attack on
your country. (Even though I thought the original 14-16 comment was made as a
light hearted jab, rather then a mean spirited attack)

You must also realize that there were a great many countries involved in WWII
before the United States was forced to join in. To say that any of these
solders would have given up just because the Americans weren't involved is
ridiculous. I'm just as grateful to the Australian solders as I am to the
American solders, as I am to the Canadian solders, as I am to all the people
who contributed to the war effort.

As in the past, Canadian solders will come to the aid of any country who needs
help fighting for their freedom, including the United states. We may not have
the largest armed forces in the world, but to ignore the contribution of even
one person is shameful.

I've also found that it is the "press" and movie industries who portray
Americans as being Loud, rude & blunt. In reality they are just like everyone
else in the world - individuals. My experience in dealing with Americans has
been positive, and I've found most to be polite, caring, intelligent people.

Let's also not equate intelligence with education and opportunity, or military
power with superiority.

Mark Geddes

         Yeah, Americans are Loud, rude and blunt, but hell,
last time I
checked, we pulled saved everyone's ass in WWII and without
us you would
have lost WWI too.
</rant>