 Off-Topic / Debate / 3295
  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) OK, go ahead and invent away. I don't invent for free. (...) So let me see here, what you're proposing is that I go out and invent something, someone else steals my idea, gets it to market first, and makes a pile from the users, and I don't (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) From a rights basis (the utilitarian basis is clear) does it follow that the inventor has the right to prevent other people from coming up with the exact same idea on their own? (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Wouldn't you then have legal recourse to sue (or whatever) that person for stealing? After all, it's your goods he's profiting from, without your permission, neh? <snippage> (...) Under a Libertarian system (which is one of the premises to (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Your point being? (...) You get your R&D costs covered before you start inventing, or you don't. Simple. (...) They come from each individual mind. Any system where people can _independently_ think of the same things, and only one of them to (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Works for me. Except that you're currently apparently ignoring everyone. :-) Mail sent to you is bouncing. My mail and the mail of several other people. So you might want to look into that. I'd have mailed you but of course that wouldn't work, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Can you send me the bounce messages (by email ;) )? I'd be interested in seeing what the errors were. (...) I rather meant ignoring the irrational urge to respond to your strange notions of society ;) (...) Anyway, here's the probable problem: (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

Mail me so I know it works and I'll mail you the headers. But your conjecture is right, it is "MX loops back" or some similar (...) Yes, in order to get $BIGNUM you first have to transfer $BIGNUM-X to someone else. :-) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) I stepped back a bit, and I suspect that what is frustrating both of us, leading to perhaps less well reasoned posts than normal on one or both sides, is that we're trying to discuss several things at once. Perhaps we should pick one topic, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) I think you could well be right. (...) I guess that's why I don't have much respect for lawyers ;=> (...) Drive-by isn't the word. Running around "Clue" manor with guns and trying to have a duel, more like. Jasper (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)