 Off-Topic / Debate / 3295
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:24:07 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 04:36:48 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

OK, what's your proposal, then? If they're not property, what are they?
and how do the people that come up with them get incented? I ain't gonna

They don't get incented.

OK, go ahead and invent away. I don't invent for free.

invent stuff for you for free, you know... and neither is anyone else.
Those 20,000 failed light bulbs cost money. Who pays for that?

Noone.

Except possibly, oh, I don't know, how about those people who could
actually benefit from the invention? You know, just like roads should
be financed by the users.

So let me see here, what you're proposing is that I go out and invent
something, someone else steals my idea, gets it to market first, and
makes a pile from the users, and I don't even get my R&D costs covered?

Rights, Jasper, rights. If ideas are not property, what are they? And if
so, who has what rights to them? Where do they come from?

And please don't come shouting about how impractical it is -- I agree.

How impractical WHAT is?

You said the patent system was flawed. I agree. What's your proposal?

Really, Jasper, you don't seem to be able to put together any arguments
on a property rights basis.

Still true.

I really don't see how you can claim to be arguing from fundamental
rights, and then argue that "this is a right because it's an
incentive. So there.".

I agree. Fortunately I said nothing of the sort. incenting is a
utilitarian argument. Keep it straight.

I see ideas as property of the inventor. From a rights basis, that means
that the inventor has the right to do with them as he or she sees fit.
From a utilitarian basis, if we don't incent the inventor, we don't get
new ideas.

Refute that separately from refuting that ideas are property. If you
can.