 Off-Topic / Debate / 3345
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 01:37:52 GMT

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:24:07 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

They don't get incented.

OK, go ahead and invent away. I don't invent for free.

Your point being?

Except possibly, oh, I don't know, how about those people who could
actually benefit from the invention? You know, just like roads should
be financed by the users.

So let me see here, what you're proposing is that I go out and invent
something, someone else steals my idea, gets it to market first, and
makes a pile from the users, and I don't even get my R&D costs covered?

You get your R&D costs covered before you start inventing, or you
don't. Simple.

Rights, Jasper, rights. If ideas are not property, what are they? And if
so, who has what rights to them? Where do they come from?

They come from each individual mind. Any system where people can
_independently_ think of the same things, and only one of them to be
credited for it, is inherently and critically flawed. And making the
duration unlimited, granting monopoly rights in eternity, in other
words (which I notice you haven't bothered to address, you'd rather
stand on your soapbox and hsout "I'm right"), is so critically flawed
that it's not even worth considering.

I really don't see how you can claim to be arguing from fundamental
rights, and then argue that "this is a right because it's an
incentive. So there.".

I agree. Fortunately I said nothing of the sort. incenting is a
utilitarian argument. Keep it straight.

Forget it. It's no use trying to argue with you, you'll just claim
black is white and you said what you didn't say in perpetuity.

I guess I'll just have to ignore you.

Jasper