 Off-Topic / Debate / 3324
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:25:04 GMT

Except possibly, oh, I don't know, how about those people who could
actually benefit from the invention? You know, just like roads should
be financed by the users.

So let me see here, what you're proposing is that I go out and invent
something, someone else steals my idea, gets it to market first, and
makes a pile from the users, and I don't even get my R&D costs covered?

Wouldn't you then have legal recourse to sue (or whatever) that person for
stealing?  After all, it's your goods he's profiting from, without your
permission, neh?

<snippage>
I see ideas as property of the inventor. From a rights basis, that means
that the inventor has the right to do with them as he or she sees fit.
From a utilitarian basis, if we don't incent the inventor, we don't get
new ideas.

Under a Libertarian system (which is one of the premises to this arguement),
the "fact" that rights are property should be enough incentive.

A patent system (as in: a system that gives "right" to an idea to the first
person to derive it) potentially violates rights in that it prevents me from
coming up with it all on my own.

Refute that separately from refuting that ideas are property. If you
can.

I don't think I did, but I have pointed out a conflict between the two.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/