 Off-Topic / Debate / 3373
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 02:04:50 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 05:27:37 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Except that you're currently apparently ignoring everyone. :-) Mail sent
to you is bouncing. My mail and the mail of several other people. So you
might want to look into that.

Can you send me the bounce messages (by email ;) )? I'd be interested
in seeing what the errors were.

I'd have mailed you but of course that wouldn't work, and as to why post
here instead of somewhere else, it's not like this post is the biggest
waste of bandwidth here so far today... :-) AND I suspect you'll read
it, despite your claim to be ignoring me.

I rather meant ignoring the irrational urge to respond to your strange
notions of society ;)

Anyway, see if you can figure out what's up with your mail. There's some
money in it for you!

Anyway, here's the probable problem:

My cable modem and/or dynipclient were very confused for a bit. This
resulted in my current IP not being known at Dynip. Now usually, this
isn't a problem, as the domainname then resolves into an IP that
doesn't answer (on any ports, AFAIK), and the smtp server simply keeps
trying, usually for up to five days.

Now, I've also just recently had another problem with dynip. I thought
I'd renewed it at the 10 days notice email, but apparently I hadn't so
next thing I know, was the "your account is dead" email. So I proceed
to get them my creditcard number posthaste. Unfortunately, we're
talking 2000-jan-4 now, and my card expired 12/99. I proceeded to not
notice this. I get me an account with same characteristics on a
temporary sharware license, so I'll be able to receive dynip's
confirmation mail. I receive non-confirmation mail. I proceed to tell
them that my new card, which is lost somewhere in the in-box, probably
has an expiry date of 12/00 or 12/01. Hah, blessed be their hearts,
they fixed it. So I go back to my original registration number, which
has another year on it.

_Somewhere_ in all of this, probably because of a stale dynipadmin
file on my NAT box, the IP address dynip would give back when I was
not online got changed back top an earlier very faulty setting of
127.0.0.1 (localhost).

So whenever an smtp server tried to send me a mail, it was sending it
to the IP address of localhost. The error message associated with that
would have been "Error: MX loops back to me" or something along those
lines.

Last paragraph is conjecture, rest is fact.

Money, you say? I suppose for that money, I first have to transfer
$BIGNUM * money to someone else, eh?

Jasper