 Off-Topic / Debate / 3391
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 04:32:22 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

I rather meant ignoring the irrational urge to respond to your strange
notions of society ;)

I stepped back a bit, and I suspect that what is frustrating both of us,
leading to perhaps less well reasoned posts than normal on one or both
sides, is that we're trying to discuss several things at once. Perhaps
we should pick one topic, identify the premises and see if we can agree
on them. If we can't, go up the premise hierarchy till we find the root
place to differ instead of sparring about implications that we derive
from inconsistent premises.

But right now we're bouncing around on too many different threads.

For example, you had an issue with my using utilitarian arguments while
at the same time claiming that I preferred rights based arguments. I can
see why you had the perception that it was inconsistent.

All I can suggest there is an analogy, and not a very good one. When a
defense lawyer makes his argument, he may well say "my client didn't do
it.. first, he wasn't there that day, second he doesn't have a gun, and
third, actually it was someone else that pulled the trigger although he
was in the room and it was his gun."...

So when I say something is flawed on a utilitarian basis, it doesn't
mean that utilitarianism is my preferred refutatory, it merely means
(perhaps, regrettably, I am jumping around too much) that I am trying to
work at the level of the person who advanced the argument. If I can both
defeat it on a utilitarian basis AND show that rights are being violated
that don't need to be, it's a stronger counter. Although I admit it is
more confusing to the drive by reader.

Helps?