 Off-Topic / Debate / 27840
Re: Newdow in the News (again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:41:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
I like the phrase "In God We Trust", because it is direct notice to the
government that {it} is not the ultimate arbiter of Truth or law.  There is
a higher law and power to which even the government is accountable.  IGWT
never actually defines this power, but simply asserts that governments
answer to a high authority.

Although my faith in God has been waining lately, I like this justification
of the phrase.  The notion of higher law (or natural law) has been around for
quite some time (and inspired many of the founding fathers).  However, I'm
pretty sure that part of the motive for adding IGWT was to make our country
more religious in light of the Communist-athiest threat.  Which, in a way,
makes IGWT somewhat anti-atheist in nature.

-Lenny

Hey Lenny,

For myself, my faith in God has never been stronger.  That said, my faith in
anything 'religious' or 'church'ish, or 'biblical' has never been lower--I'm
adamantly opposed to 'pushing' religiousity down everyone's throats.

And when the padres start their semons, "Beloved, we gather here today..." makes
me just cringe--I call crap.

The guy behind the pulpit doesn't give one whiff about what's true or good or
right--he cares about 'spreading the word of Jesus Christ--the blood of the lamb
shall set you free!'--again, I call crap.

Government's not perfect.  People aren't perfect.  However, when 'religious
groups' prevent access (or want to prevent access) to potentially life-saving
medicines, well, again with the calling crap--

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20060611_gene_gerard_religion_cancer_science/

"Gene Gerard: Religion Running Roughshod Over Cancer Science"

"
The Food and Drug Administration advisory panel approved a vaccine for the human
papilloma virus (HPV) last week. The vaccine appears to be 100% effective at
protecting against the most prevalent viruses that cause cervical cancer. While
public health professionals view the vaccine as miraculous, many conservative
organizations oppose it on the grounds that it might encourage promiscuity among
adolescent girls
"

"
Despite the benefits of the vaccine, conservative organizations began to rally
against it last year. One of the most vocal opponents was the Family Research
Council. The council, according to its mission statement, “promotes the
Judeo-Christian worldview as the basis for a just, free, and stable society.”
Last October the council’s president, Tony Perkins, spoke against the vaccine.
“Our concern,” he said, “is that this vaccine will be marketed to a segment of
the population that should be getting a message about abstinence. It sends the
wrong message.” He went on to say that he would not vaccinate his 13-year-old
daughter
"

"
But in most instances, parents can’t pick and choose what vaccinations they want
their children to receive in order to attend public schools. Children are
required to be vaccinated against measles, mumps, chicken pox and various other
diseases. Public health experts recommend that the HPV vaccine be administered
to children at about ages 11 or 12, before sexual activity commences. And
there’s no scientifically defensible reason that it shouldn’t be universally
administered.

Of course, there’s the rub: The objection to the HPV vaccine isn’t based on
science; rather, it comes from a biblically based squeamishness about premarital
sex.

Religious values, however, shouldn’t affect FDA approval or recommendation by
the ACIP. From a public health perspective, we can’t continue to allow
conservatives to depict science as a cultural bogeyman.
"

This vaccine saves lives, pure and simple.

Yet the 'religious' say that people should be denied acess because it 'may
cause' promiscuity.

Yeah, put a cork in it-I'm done with this so-called 'religion of life'--it's
nothing but a culture of death and stagnation.

There's areally good blog about the thig here--

http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/007950.php

which has some staggering wuoted statistics--

"
Cervical cancer is the second leading cause of death in women across the globe,
affecting an estimated 470,000 women and killing 233,000 each year.
"

233,000 women a year, dead due to cervical cancer.

"
In the United States, about 20 million people are infected by the human
papillomavirus each year. By the time women reach the age of 50, 80 percent have
been infected
"

80 percent of 50 year old women will be infected with HPV.  80 percent.

The vaccine?--

"
Called Gardasil, the vaccine guards against cancer and genital warts caused by
the human papillomavirus [HPV], the most common sexually transmitted disease.
The vaccine prevents lasting infections with two human papillomavirus strains
that cause 70 percent of cancers and another two strains that cause 90 percent
of genital warts. It is the culmination of a 15-year effort that began at the
National Cancer Institute and a research center in Australia, and health
officials described the vaccine as a landmark
"

And the promiscuity angle??

"
· A nationally representative survey of 884 men and 1,288 women published in the
Journal of Sex Researchfound that 77 percent of married men and 88 percent of
married women had remained faithful to their marriage vows
"

Yet let's not allow access to the vaccine based on 'promiscuity'

"
So what gives you pseudo-religious types - you who preach how Christian you are
while your actions scream HYPOCRITE! - the right to deny my daughters the means
to protect themselves from a disease which would otherwise kill them even if
they are in one of your committed relationships - as their ancestors were???
"

But that's just me.  I'm done with religiosity.

Dave K