 Off-Topic / Debate / 27838
Re: Newdow in the News (again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:53:27 GMT

   I like the phrase “In God We Trust”, because it is direct notice to the government that it is not the ultimate arbiter of Truth or law. There is a higher law and power to which even the government is accountable. IGWT never actually defines this power, but simply asserts that governments answer to a high authority.

Although my faith in God has been waining lately, I like this justification of the phrase. The notion of higher law (or natural law) has been around for quite some time (and inspired many of the founding fathers). However, I’m pretty sure that part of the motive for adding IGWT was to make our country more religious in light of the Communist-athiest threat. Which, in a way, makes IGWT somewhat anti-atheist in nature.

-Lenny