 Off-Topic / Debate / 27221
Re: When to speak one's mind?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:31:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

In the recent thread about Richie Dulin's Nazi Spiffcraft, I felt the need to
speak my mind about the subject matter Richie posted.  I made, what I felt, was
an honest and accurate critique.  That critique prompted a host of responces,
etc which has turned into a fairly ugly flame war that doesn't seem to want to
die.

My question is this: Should I have kept my mouth shut?  I felt that I should say
something, but that might have been the wrong thing to do.  I wanted to critique
Richie's MOC, but I was also concerned about what that MOC might say about AFOL
community at large.

Refering to this post: http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=39164    I think you
should have taken out the parenthetical part, and the footnote.

Second question: Should I have said my piece and then left the conversation,
despite accusations that I wanted to censor Richie, or that I support Stalin's
mass murders, that I'm a racist or the other misunderstandings that were being
spread?

Yes.  Leave the conversation.  If you start out talking about LEGO, and after a
reply or 2, it has nothing to do with LEGO, leave!  Bail out!

I don't want to be negative, but when
someone says something untrue about me or my motives, I feel the need to correct
it.  It is that, I think, that turns it into a flame war.

Who cares if some random guy online thinks you are racist, or implies that you
are, or states that he heard a rumor that you eat babies and killed JFK?

The single most effective way to call attention to a post is to reply to it.  By
attempting to correct someone's notions of you, you only call attention to those
notions.

~Kevoh  (mmmm babies)