 Off-Topic / Debate / 27212
Re: I did not call Lenny a racist was Re: When to speak one's mind?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:40:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
Second question: Should I have said my peace and then left the conversation,
despite accusations that I wanted to censor Richie, or that I support Stalin's
mass murders, that I'm a racist or the other misunderstandings that were being
spread?

Dear all,

I would like to add to the record that I did not, and nor would I, call Lenny a
racist. I don't believe that Lenny is a racist. If he is referring to someone
else calling him a racist then you can ignore this.

Tim

Not to get into it, but if someone states, "I hear you're a racist", that
someone did not explicitly say "You are a racist" and can state "I didn't say
you were a racist, I just said 'I *heard* you were a racist"

Just like if someone stated "Your stance here is bordering on racism!"  That
someone didn't state that the guy was racist, but inferred that he or she was
pretty close to the line.

It may be a matter of degrees, but, to me, it sounds like the kids in the back
seat of the car--

"Mom!  Billy's got his hand on my side of the seat!"

"No I dont!  See?  Here's the center line and my hand is just to my side!"

It's still dancing pretty close to the line, in my opinion.

"I hear you beat your wife..." (to bring up another o.t-d standby...)

Dave K