 Off-Topic / Debate / 264
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:08:17 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Right as far as it goes, but the reason WHY is that Jesus is often
referred to as the fisher of men's souls, and he instructed his apostles
to continue his work. (0)

Sounds dumb, but that escaped my mind when I wrote that.

2 - The Pope is the spiritual descendant of Jesus and supposedly holds
the same authority over the Church that Jesus did.. hence this character
was filling the shoes of the fisherman. (3)

In Catholicism.  People generally lump Catholicism and Christianity together.
They have the same basic history, the same God and hence the same Jesus, but
believe other things like worship of Mary, the Pope, etc.  I am an Evangelical
Christian (Pentacostal/Charismatic to be precise) who does not believe in the
worship of Mary or the authority of the Pope since it is not written in the
Bible.

I will only go that far in explaining my beliefs and clarifying Christianity
since any further would be preaching.

3 - and I read a MOST amusing story in which the Pope was the defendant
in a lawsuit in which the plaintiff was trying to recover damages that
his insurance company would not pay since they had an Act of God clause.
His legal basis was that very claim of god granted authority over the
church vested in the current pope.

That's pretty funny!

-Tim <><
http://www.zacktron.com - Coming Soon!