 Off-Topic / Debate / 265
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:19:35 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Well I don't find either of them funny. I see both of them as serious
attempts by people to let others know where they stand. I won't ridicule
people for using either, as I think it's good to know who I'm dealing
with.

Someone who is an out and out christian(1), in my book, has to be dealt
with a bit more carefully, as he or she is prone to lapses of illogic
and irrationality(2). I'm pleased that some christians are willing to
help me out by badging themselves.

Gee, thanks.  that makes me feel this big --> .  For some reason I'm coming
fast to the end of being able to calmly discuss this without preaching to
people.  The only thing is for some reason you guys all read books so you can
argue against Christians.  Most Christians don't read much at all as far as
philosophy except for books on improving one's relationship with God.  You
have undoubtedly found that most Christians are not much for aguing.  That
above statement of yours almost made me go off the edge.

Now the Truth fish swallowing Darwin... why that one, I DO ridicule! The
symbol, mind you, not the person. But I find it laughable to think that
anyone could refute the broad outline(3) of evolution on any basis other
than "Someone claimed god said it's not true and I've decided to reject
reason and take it on faith".

I love being manipulated between a rock and a hard place.  I won't speak out
disrespectfully (which would be your interpretation of me quoting Bible
verses, etc), yet you will try to push me to the point of doing so.

3 - don't bother me with "Darwin made detailed mistake X about species
Y" as errors of that sort do nothing to undermine the basic notion that
species do change randomly, and given enough time, will diverge to fill
all available ecological niches.

Read "It Couldn't Just Happen"  It has literally hundreds of those.  I don't
have the book nor have I read the entire thing.  I have seen it and seen
excerpts from it.  Its rather intriguing.

I have to go off to a youth group Christmas party...  I should probably stop
reading off-topic.debate too, since it seems to be getting me angry, though I
haven't shown it.

-Tim <><
http://www.zacktron.com - Coming Soon!
http://trc.osiriscomm.com