 Off-Topic / Debate / 263
Re: More Clinton (was Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:41:22 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
How is the sexual harassment law written?  Why would Clinton's not 'believing'
in that law make a difference?  I can say I don't believe a wall is there and
run in its direction and fall down and get a concussion.  Just because I don't
believe the wall is there doesn't make it cease to exist.  The law is still
the law, and whether he likes it or not, he will be held accountable to it.

You agree with me later, I think. But I want to ensure this point is
clear. You're using the wrong sense of belief here. The sense I meant is
"believe == think it's a good thing and support as just" not "believe ==
be aware of, and accept, the existence of"  Clinton I am sure is aware
that the harassment law exists(1).

Here's an example. "I don't believe in the justice of the lord" could
mean that I don't accept the existence of the lord (2), or I don't
accept the concept of justice in the abstract (3), or I DO believe in
both the lord and justice as existing but don't think that the lord is
just. (4).

Does that help?

1 - I cannot comment on whether he thinks it's just or not, but it
doesn't matter, he's bad either way. If it IS just to his thinking, it
applies to him and he's a shirker and a cheat. If it ISN'T just to his
thinking, he's a coward for not standing up for what he believes in.

2 - true

3 - false, there is such a thing as justice

4 - also false, due to specific premise falsehood, first premise. (5)

5 - however if the first premise was invalidated and I found that this
specific christian lord DID exist, I would find him unjust by my moral
code, so the statement would be true. If I am wrong about his existence,
he is still an unjust god and I am ready to accept his torment(6).

6 - note use of Torment, not Punishment. Punishment can only be meted
out by an authority figure. I grant no such authority. So to a
christian, I would be justly punished, but to me it would be merely
torment as I don't accept his basis for punishment and I won't grant the
sanction of the victim to him.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.