 Off-Topic / Debate / 26324
Re: TV-B-Gone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:50:08 GMT

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:42:03PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Can you imagine the riot (as in violence) if someone used one of
those at some sports bar last night in Boston?

Why, did something significant happen? (grin)

Heh.  Driving home after the game ended was definitely an "interesting"
experience :)

If I was the owner of a bar, I'd make sure that my TV's IR ports
have covers on them.

That may not be workable since that then means the employees
can't change the channels (or adjust the volume) with the real
remote either.

Perhaps we'll soon see remotes with device specific encryption,
similar to garage door opener radio coding? I sense the possible start
of an arms race.

I'd expect an option to control the TVs from a wired device...  Though,
this might all blow over - a similar worry was voiced when universal
remotes came out originally, or when handheld devices could be
programmed as remotes...  And yet, nothing happend.  Hopefully, nothing
will this time too.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com