 Off-Topic / Debate / 26322
Re: TV-B-Gone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:42:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger wrote:
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:06:38PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
My dad told me about this a few days ago, and Jake just blogged it.

http://www.tv-b-gone.com/

I wonder if this story refers to the same thing:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/geek/?n=4883

I can't wait to get mine. I hate those dang idiot boxes.

I saw it...  and yet...  Yes, I can understand hating TV.  But in your
own home, you have your own remote, so you don't need this.  In a public
place, isn't it the proprietor's privilage to choose what, if anything,
is on?

Yes!

If I end up getting one of these, I'll always ask an employee (and thus agent of
the owner) for permission before using it...

Can you imagine the riot (as in violence) if someone used one of
those at some sports bar last night in Boston?

Why, did something significant happen? (grin)

If I was the owner of a bar, I'd make sure that my TV's IR ports have
covers on them.

That may not be workable since that then means the employees can't change the
channels (or adjust the volume) with the real remote either.

Perhaps we'll soon see remotes with device specific encryption, similar to
garage door opener radio coding? I sense the possible start of an arms race.