 Off-Topic / Debate / 26334
Re: TV-B-Gone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:09:27 GMT

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:46:14PM +0000, Purple Dave wrote:
That may not be workable since that then means the employees can't
change the channels (or adjust the volume) with the real remote
either.

All they'd need to do is set up a single tuner that feeds a single
signal to all of the TVs and hide it under the bar.

Easy enough with many DVRs, like, say a MythTV box.

Not only would that be immune to this device (which they claim only
works on TV sets), but it would also allow them to change the channel
on every TV at the same time (and prevent anyone from being able to
access any other channel without permission). The problem would be
figuring out how to turn the TVs on at the start of the day (turning
them off could be accomplished with a series of switched outlets).
Most TVs that work with a remote default to Off when the power has
been cut.

I guess having using a pool que or a ladder should work for that - just
push the button on the TV itself.  Since it's only at start/end of day,
it's not unreasonable.

Perhaps we'll soon see remotes with device specific encryption,
similar to garage door opener radio coding? I sense the possible
start of an arms race.

That would pretty much kill the market for universal remotes, huh?

Not really - just have a code that you enter into your TV (1234), and
then you enter the same code into your remote (1234).  If I come along
with the same kind of remote, but don't know your secret code, my remote
won't work on your TV.

It would break all CURRENT remotes, but that's part of the plan, isn't
it?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com