 Off-Topic / Debate / 26326
Re: TV-B-Gone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:32:18 GMT

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 05:18:37PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I wouldn't use one of these in a sports bar, but then again, that's
one reason I don't go to sports bars. I'm mostly concerned about
public places -- city buses, cafeterias, airports, and the like. I'm
prepared to take an active stance to protect myself from TV, and I
think it's wrong to force TV on people in public.

Is it ok to "force" music in public?  Or overhearing people talk to each
other, or on cellphones?  What about the people in the airport that have
a few hours to kill, and you turning off the TV will make their wait
feel that much longer?  Why do YOU get to choose, and not them?

Read the FAQ - there's been almost no reaction in places the inventor
has used it. If you turn the bug zapper off, the mosquitoes will go
about their business.

Heh, wasn't going to bother reading it - it's their own site, I don't
expect the FAQ to be meaningful.

Not going to cede to someone else the control to pollute my mind, and
not going to hole myself up in my house to avoid it either. And I'd
venture to say neither are many other citizens.

So turning off a TV showing, say, Opera is ok, but if it was showing
crossfire you would want to keep it on? "cede to someone else the
control to pollute my mind" - I think you should be HAVE to be able to
deal with unwanted input, otherwise you wouldn't be able to live in
modern society.  If you're in an airport, it's the owners of the airport
who put the TV their, and it's their absolute right to do so.  And it is
NOT your right to decide they were wrong.

Trust me, I get pissed off at TVs/Radios/People often enough, but I
don't think that gives me permission to just walk up to it and turn it
off.  At most, I _ask_ the owner of the bar to change the channel/lower
the volume/turn it off.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com