 Off-Topic / Debate / 26320
  TV-B-Gone

My dad told me about this a few days ago, and Jake just blogged it. (URL) can't wait to get mine. I hate those dang idiot boxes. -Tim (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) I saw it... and yet... Yes, I can understand hating TV. But in your own home, you have your own remote, so you don't need this. In a public place, isn't it the proprietor's privilage to choose what, if anything, is on? Can you imagine the riot (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) (URL) I can't wait to get mine. I hate those dang idiot boxes. (...) Yes! If I end up getting one of these, I'll always ask an employee (and thus agent of the owner) for permission before using it... (...) Why, did something significant (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) Heh. Driving home after the game ended was definitely an "interesting" experience :) (...) I'd expect an option to control the TVs from a wired device... Though, this might all blow over - a similar worry was voiced when universal remotes came (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) I wouldn't use one of these in a sports bar, but then again, that's one reason I don't go to sports bars. I'm mostly concerned about public places -- city buses, cafeterias, airports, and the like. I'm prepared to take an active stance to (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) Is it ok to "force" music in public? Or overhearing people talk to each other, or on cellphones? What about the people in the airport that have a few hours to kill, and you turning off the TV will make their wait feel that much longer? Why do (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) Your city buses have TVs? (...) Are cafeterias in general public places? Most of the ones I've been in are privately owned and operated, where the requirement that you ask permission first seems paramount. I've never yet been turned down when (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) sentiment. While I was at UCLA, at first the student union food court had one TV, which was over at one end. So students who wanted to watch while they ate would sit over there. The rest of the tables were filled with students studying while (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) All they'd need to do is set up a single tuner that feeds a single signal to all of the TVs and hide it under the bar. Not only would that be immune to this device (which they claim only works on TV sets), but it would also allow them to (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) Easy enough with many DVRs, like, say a MythTV box. (...) I guess having using a pool que or a ladder should work for that - just push the button on the TV itself. Since it's only at start/end of day, it's not unreasonable. (...) Not really - (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) Go to sports bars much? They typically have a LOT more than just one TV or just one channel on all those TVs. (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) Aside from the occassional post-meeting meal with other MichLUG members, no. I could possibly be convinced to do so otherwise, if held at gunpoint, but I have very little interest in sports and far less in hanging out with people who are (...) (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TV-B-Gone

(...) If I ever got one of these, I'd probably use it for evil. But really, all it does it turn them off. Where's the fun in that? With a full-function universal remote there are sooo many more options. (...) <plans hatching> Allister (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)