 Off-Topic / Debate / 24558
Re: Costs and Benefits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:02:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
If the cost is $3,400 per household, what is the value of the benefits?

Doesn't sound right.  That figure is tiny compared to some of the
ideas proposed here, such as free university tuition.

Tiny? Really? Ok, what {would} "free university tuition" cost per household?
What would the benefits be?

Compare {that} to this war.

The way I figure it, you should only be looking at an individual's consumption
and 'payback.'  I'll use what I consider pretty conservative figures so that the
fact that I'm just making numbers up won't paint a rosier picture than is
reasonable.  So assuming that many more Americans would go to college if it were
"free" we might get up to the point where the average American would attend for
three years.  If we imagine that this costs $15K per year, then we have the
average American sucking $45K out of the system.  That same average American is
a tax payer for something like 40 years.  Neglecting interest (under the
assumption that there isn't any) and inflation (because we're talking about 2004
dollars anyway) it seems like the average American would be paying back $1125
per year for this system.

Golly!  I'd been imagining that it would be cheaper.  On the other hand, the
average American doesn't attend for anywhere near three years and it could cost
somewhat less than $15K per year.  If we drop it to two years at $12K per, the
taxpayer burden drops to $600 per year.  But, presumably, our GDP and spending
power would rise with a more educated populace.  Presumbably.

Chris