 Off-Topic / Debate / 24414
Re: i decided to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 05:15:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:

I think as an important member of the community, you should take more time to
consider the pros and cons of such a post. If you want to tell him directly,
please do so - via email. The response from him will probably be the same, the
result for the comunity will be less negative.

I don't consider that "politically correct", I consider it "more positive for
the community".

Please don't second guess my assumptions.

Please don't assume I did.

I came into this community (well, RTL) eight years ago as a 14-year-old. I was
very immature, and as a result got myself pretty beaten up by those who weren't
simply direct, but downright malicious in their flames towards me. Believe me,
I've endured far, far worse than just about anything I've seen leveraged at a
young poster on LUGNET.

And do you have any stats on how many people decided not to get involved in the
community because of the flame wars they saw while lurking on RTL?

I believe it was only through my fellow community members being hard on me that
I was able to grow up in the way I have.

And that's great, but you're only one example.

Now, if someone makes a discernable effort to improve over time, I'll gladly
coach them. I've done it before, I'll do it again. But, if someone appears to
make no effort, that communicates laziness and a disregard for self and others.
I believe that sort of behavior needs to be nipped in the bud as it isn't good
for the person nor is it good for the community.

I agree.

In evaluating my response, I believed (and still do) that had I not responded
that way, others would have replied in jest as they did to Dan's earlier post. I
think that's quite a bit more destructive, and a lot less 'positive for the
community.'

I disagree. So I guess that's the crux of it. But no-one said everyone in the
community has to agree on everything ;)

ROSCO