 Off-Topic / Debate / 24411
Re: i decided to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 04:15:18 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Ross Crawford wrote:

Tim, did you get out on the wrong side of bed this morning, or something? I mean
I like good grammar & spelling as much as the next guy (probably more) but I
don't think you have to be so rude about it. You could simply point out that as
Lugnet is used by many as a reference, it's value is vastly improved if posters
spend a little extra time composing their submissions.

I've simply noticed this as a pattern for Daniel over years of time. The last
time he posted, others pointed out this very behavior before with no responses
from him: http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=19928

Yep, I'm well aware of the history.

I might be wrong, but it looks to me that he doesn't care enough to make the
effort. I seriously doubt Daniel would respond to a more indirect suggestion for
to write a cohesive message. I find it difficult to respect people who ignore
correction, polite or impolite.

Well I doubt he'll respond to direct suggestion either, so why make the
newsgroup seem less friendly by posting it?

I'm a big fan of diplomacy, in cases where it is appropriate. I'm learning to
become more of a fan of being direct where it is appropriate.

I don't think it's fair to automatically categorize being to the point as being
unfriendly. To address to your point, if he isn't going to respond to the
correction period, why waste the time making the correction fluffy? Filling the
message with warm fuzzies will only help the words go in one ear and out the
other faster.

Were this someone who has demonstrated some level of maturity in posting,
someone I honestly believed would take criticism in stride and act on it, yes, I
would have made a more diplomatic post. But, since it seems Daniel is clueless,
I thought I'd be direct so the clue I'm sending couldn't be misinterpreted.

"seem less friendly" ... I'm sorry, but this just sounds like political
correctness where it doesn't belong. If someone is too sensitive for a direct
post like that, I feel sorry for them.

-Tim