 Off-Topic / Debate / 22830
Re: RTL query
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:03:15 GMT

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.debate

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message
news:Hoyz39.12rB@lugnet.com...

That said, the history of LUGNET compared to the history of rtl where the
'quality' of 'LEGO related postings' (signal to noise ratio) is concerned,
I'll

The best way to solve newsgroup Signal to Noise problems is to set a good
example and to drown out the noise with good signal.

My only gripe is that with authoritarian organizations siphoning off the
signal, all that's left is the noise.  This doesn't help the public forum to
flourish.

Lugnet excels in terms of ease of use - anyone can type Lugnet.com into
their browser and get involved.  This is probably one of the key reasons why
it is popular and RTL is not.

It's great that Lugnet supports NNTP, but unfortunately they seem to require
verification for every post - which ads as much hassle as one would save by
using the web client.

I run an NNTP server for an organization and we don't need to reply to any
emails to see our posts go live - our mail server simply requires a username
and password.  No spam, no hassle.

I've been across the newsgroup landscape over the years, and am • consistently
impressed by the 'focus to the hobby' that LUGNET has, that other NG's or • likes
thereof, fail to have.  Other NG's I have to read thru loads of • unadulterated
crap to find the few gems.  Here, it's almost the exact reverse--there are
tonnes of gems relating to my chosen hobby and a few buckets of slop • thrown in
once in a while.

I'm also impressed by the relative lack of flame wars and general good
nature and sense of humor of Lego people.  People generally seem to take
great care to ensure they are understood and understanding before resorting
to name calling and such.

...though the Shades of Gray issue seems to have brought out the worst in
some people.