 FAQ / 1336
Re: RTL query
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:05:13 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Tim David wrote:

<snip>
Anyway.... one thing that I came across was RTL. My understanding was that it
was basically a predecesor to Lugnet that was newsreader based, a method of
communication I have never used (but will try when I get home and where the port
is not blocked) My questions are:
Is is still going?
How do I connect?
If its not still going where are the archives

Tim

Tim,

r.t.l (rec.toys.lego) is a USENET newsgroup.  USENET is a text-based,
bulletin-board type messaging system that predates the WWW by at least a decade.
rec.toys.lego started on USENET in 1994 (its predecessor, alt.toys.lego, started
about a year before).  r.t.l is still a legitimate newsgroup with postings
continuing to this day (it is true that the advent of LUGNET drastically cut the
number of quality discussions about Lego there, however).

One great thing about r.t.l and all other USENET groups is that Google has
archived and continues to maintain an archive of USENET!!  This means that you
can read, search and even post to r.t.l through Google's web interface to
USENET.  Go here:

http://groups.google.com

Click on Advanced Search, enter "rec.toys.lego" in the newsgroup field, fill in
any other parameters on that page you want, and start reading.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com