 FAQ / 1350
Re: RTL query
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:25:01 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.faq, Neb Okla wrote:

"Thomas Main" <thomasmain@myrealbox.com> wrote
continuing to this day (it is true that the advent of LUGNET
drastically cut the number of quality discussions about Lego there,
however).

It may have cut the number of total discussions, but your personal
judgement of "quality" can hardly be considered a "truth".

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I suspect RTL is more of a "wasteland"
now than it ever was, at least in my view, based on my (and I suspect a lot of
other people's views as well). (I say suspect because I haven't carried out an
exhaustive analysis of my (or other people's) feelings about thousands of
representative posts from each place, sampled across time)

Perhaps the quality of RTL has gone up lately, now that there are less
people there for the troublemakers to annoy.

One nice thing about RTL is that it's full functionality is completely
free to anyone, it is not privately owned, and it has no legally
binding "Terms of Use".

That depends on your definition of "nice".
c/nice/bad/ and we're in agreement...

Yes.  It's good to have RTL out there as unconstrained competition.
This forces the lugnet admins to be responsive to the needs of the
community.  So please continue to use RTL if you prefer, because it
helps to make lugnet better.

Well stated. In fact I'd go farther... I'd encourage people that don't like the
ToS here, or that don't like the way NNTP works here, or any of a number of
other things about LUGNET, to vote with their feet. Use RTL, or use another
privately run service, or start one yourself, because the very existence of
competition itself is a good thing.

But I'd say that LUGNET is fairly close to Working As Designed, at least in the
large view, at least in the areas of the Plan that have been implemented so far.
It's not for everyone, in my view. It, in my  view, wasn't intended to be for
rabble rousers or people that couldn't keep a civil tongue in their head or
people that felt that free public goods (with no visible means of support) were
by definition inherently better than privately supplied goods.

XFUT admin.general, this is no longer a FAQ topic in my view

++Lar