 Off-Topic / Debate / 22347
Re: Art? or Theft? or just signs that NPR is damaged.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:52:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

I fail to see where she steals anything in the store.  She just rearranges the
stock into interesting, if ephemral, shapes.

Which someone has to clean up. That's a theft of labor (the cleanup) as well as
stealing use of the materials (the pieces are not available for sale while she's
"using" them) as well as hinderance of trade (while she's "sculpting", it's
harder to move around in the aisles near her) and trespass (she is not in the
store for an approved purpose).

This seems to be your opinion more than the management of Home Depot, which seem
to view it as a mild annoyance at the worst.

(remember, conversion of stolen property doesn't have to be *permanent*. If you
steal my car, take a joy ride, and then give it back, you've still stolen my
car... even if you topped off the gastank before you returned it)

You are comparing a prosecutable crime with a non-crime.  They are free to toss
her from the store if they find her activity inappropriate, so it seems a
non-issue.

-->Bruce<--