 Off-Topic / Debate / 21360
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:02:53 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

snip

   Guys like Shrub would nuke people in the U.S. if such a preemptive strike where necessary to maintain political power -- and I don’t really mean Shrub, I mean the guys standing all around him and even more particularly the ones standing in the shadows (the ones whose names are barely known and only whispered even when they are known).

-- Hop-Frog

There it is. Koresh wannabe. We’re done.

“Koresh wannabe” ??? Oh, get over yourself.

Koresh was innocent of anything except bad judgement in thinking that he and his followers could peaceably coexist in the local community, and bad judgement in thinking that because he had good relations with the local law enforcement and because he minded his own business, that was enough to protect him from the greater evil afoot in the nation.

He was guilty, however, of underestimating the evil of the BATF and of the Attorney General of the time. (1) THEY went in, guns blazing, with a secret warrant that didn’t actually specify anything, and then maneuvered to massacre the innocents after demonstrating there was no way that the Davidians were going to get a fair trial.

When you throw around terms like “Koresh wannabe”, you demonstrate that you lack a grasp of how bad things actually are down here. Successive administrations have run amuck to greater and greater extents, aided and abetted by people like you who mean well, but apparently don’t think for themselves very well, and don’t understand that freedom isn’t free.

I don’t normally speak up in defense of Marchetti, but from what I’ve seen in this long (2) thread he gets the point of what the US is supposed to be about, gets the point of what Jefferson and the other fathers were on about, and gets the point of the Bill of Rights... and you don’t. Worse, you disparage it all as meaningless, oldfashioned, no longer relevant, and illogical. What a shame.

I may think Richard’s specific arguments about Halliburton et al are not where the big problems in the country lie, and I may even laugh at some of his specific conspiracy theories, but he’s more of a patriot(3) and more of a freedom lover than you are.

By far.

1 - to think I used to think Reno was the worst AG ever, and it couldn’t get worse. I was half right... She was, at the time. I was also half wrong... Ashcroft is worse, far worse.

2 - and rehashed... everything I’ve seen here so far has been said before, over and over, in the past...

3 - neglecting that you don’t live in the US... but I would argue that you are less of a Canadian patriot than you think.

++Lar