 Off-Topic / Debate / 21359
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:55:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell wrote:
   You take them to court. You take them to the highest court you can.

Wonderful solution, and I can tell you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know how hard it is to fight the power? I have done it, and won some and lost most. Not fun, not at all. I’d provide more details but actually it’s my own private business. If you feel particularly motivated, search my last name in Westlaw or something like it -- some of it is public record.

Yeah, right -- put all of your faith in Title 42, Chapter 21, Subchapter I, Sec. 1983. Oh, and Bivens vs. Six Unknown Federal Narcotic Agents. What a dream -- I want to spend the rest of my life in court! What you really hope is that you never have to rely upon such codes, because if you are trying to do anything like it your life is de facto in shambles, I assure you.

   The reality is that if you live in a society, you have to place trust into your society to do all it reasonably can to protect you. Do you think that you would be better off with your guns in somewhere where there were no laws but that of power?

A. False -- I take care of me, and no one else can do it for me. I don’t *WANT* any parents running my life, including the government. It’s okay with me if you want them diapering you regularly, have at it, James!

B. Straw Man! Actually, I prefer a society of laws backed up by the threat of force should the need arise.

-- Hop-Frog