 Off-Topic / Debate / 21371
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:04:37 GMT

from what I've seen in this long (2) thread

(2) - and rehashed... everything I've seen here so far has been said before,
over and over, in the past...

  Sure, it's been discussed, but what hasn't been discussed?  And it's not like
the entire argument is stagnant, either; my opinion has evolved somewhat through
several revisitings of the gun control debate, just as others have come to
understand the dangers of imprecise and misleading stastics.  My opinions in
other debates have likewise changed as a result of repeated discussion, and I'd
like at the very least to think that I have improved in my ability to articulate
my views.  If the net gain is increased knowledge, I'd say the trip is
worthwhile, even if some posters basically repeat the same arguments.
  Too often, I fear, we throw down the "ploughed ground" trump card as though
the argument du jour has been satisfactorily resolved, but this is seldom the
case.  Even if one of the principals thinks the issue is settled, then a quick
summation of the salient arguments would likely be more useful than a tacit
dismissal.  Failing that, a link to a previous thread would be a nice courtesy,
and it shouldn't be difficult if the argument indeed arises so frequently.

     Dave!