 Off-Topic / Debate / 21160
Re: Melting a planet's core
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:13:54 GMT

Their was a large thread on Lugnet discussing wether you could move a • planet and
I was wondering could you melt the core core of a planet (and get it • moving
again).

This sounds suspiciously like the Doctor Who story "Dalek Invasion of Earth"
where the Daleks were drilling down to the molten core of the planet in
order to drain it away and install a propulsion system so they could pilot
the planet around the galaxy.

Unfortunately, I cannot add any scientific knowledge to your question as the
Daleks were defeated and their plan never reached fruition.  But they
obviously thought they could do it.

One way of melting the core would be to move it so close to the sun that • the
whole planet melted and then move it back out again but I don't know what • the
consequence's of this would be. Could a melted and then cooled planet • sustain
life?

Probably, if you wanted to wait several billion years.

Andrew.