 Off-Topic / Debate / 21109
Re: Melting a planet's core
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:06:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steven Lane wrote:
   I saw a program the other day which said that the planet Mars lost most of
   it’s atmosphere when it lost it’s magnetic field. It said that the field deflected harmful solar winds preventing them scouring away the atmosphere, but it lost it’s field when the planets core stopped rotating, this being the result of the core cooling down and solidifying.

That sounds a lot like the premise of the recent movie The Core, but I saw a geophysicist on TV talking about it, and how he liked the fact that recent movies have been inspiring kids to get into science, but he said that in this case he wished they’d gotten their facts straight. According to what he said, it’s the magnetic field that keeps the core rotating, not the other way around. Granted, you aren’t making anything happen in there if it’s solid rock all the way through, and I don’t know exactly what makes the core maintain its liquid state (besides intense heat and pressure), so I’m not sure how easy it would be to reliquify Mars’ core (aside from that bit about sun-roasting it). The best I can think of would be to drill down really deep into the core from all over the planet, and drop every possible nuclear warhead that the entire world is capable of producing into those holes. You probably wouldn’t want to set them off all at the same time (or the moment of detonation might cause enough stress to actually crack the planet), but if you pack the holes full of the drill waste (just enough to keep the explosion from venting most of the force out the holes), you might be able to generate enough heat to get a good chunk of the core liquid again. Of course, if we could develop practical fusion generators that could be lowered down into the holes and produce a steady stream of heat and energy rather than popping off giant firecrackers, that would probably be more effective and a lot safer.