 Off-Topic / Debate / 21218
Re: Melting a planet's core
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:22:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Sciortino wrote:

Well, if you could surround the planet with a powerful changing magnetic
field, I believe you could heat the core using hysteresis.  But I don't know
how that would work.  I suppose you might wrap several loops of wire around
the planet and then run a (very very big) alternating current through it to
create the magnetic field.  Then sit back and let the H field do it's thing
in the core.

Single magnetic poles don't seem exist in nature (else, you could orbit a
super-strong north pole around the planet and a corresponding south pole on
the opposite side).  While they don't seem to exist, I'm pretty sure it has
not been proven that they *can't* exist, so if you wanted to make some ship
that generates one end of a magnetic pole, I think the pseudo-science would
be true enough...

So, ya gonna build us a pair of Magneto-polar generator
ships?  ;)

Nope! but it's a good idea though. Have to be fusion powered I reckon.

Steve