 Off-Topic / Debate / 21219
Re: Git outta my bedroom!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:55:22 GMT

   The institution of marriage is devalued, and here is how. If you allow same- sex marriages (remember, this isn’t a ban on homosexual marriages), then you open pandora’s box WRT to marriage. What about three people who want to get married? How about 4? If you object to those scenarios, on what basis would you argue? What about if I want to marry my dog? Are you then going to discriminate against me? Pretty soon the institution becomes meaningless.

...Mightily resisting the urge to call John names!...

My most civil response to all of the above is: So what?!

Let’s leave the dog scenario to the side as it is “species out of bounds.”

The point of marriage generally is to legally bind people together in a contract, to my mind the sex and number of the marriage participants is their problem.

What happens if you limit people to marriages that are acceptable only to your moral code? You deny people the right to make decisions for their loved ones in health crisis situations, make it impossible to participate in insurance schemes with their partners, and a whole host of other legally contractual stuff to which they would have access except for the lack of a legally binding marriage.

I could argue this more completely -- but that’s it in a nutshell.

Alternatively, let’s do away with the idea of marriage altogether except as a private matter. The way you conceive of it, being married becomes a de facto grant of privilege exclusively for those whose social circumstances you morally approve.

Open your mind! For the one guy in OTD that overuses the term “bigot” you sure have some strange views.

-- Hop-Frog