 Off-Topic / Debate / 21216
Re: Git outta my bedroom!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:13:42 GMT

Yes this is a thing about Canada... so don't worry 'bout it...

Devalued the institution of marriage?  What, by letting caring loving couples
partake in the institution of marriage?  Or would Mr Rogusky prefer a ban on
marriages he doesn't approve of?  Stay out of their marriages, Derek, and
they'll stay outta yours.

The institution of marriage is devalued, and here is how.  If you allow same-sex
marriages (remember, this isn't a ban on homosexual marriages), then you open
pandora's box WRT to marriage.  What about three people who want to get married?
How about 4?  If you object to those scenarios, on what basis would you argue?
What about if I want to marry my dog?  Are you then going to discriminate
against me?  Pretty soon the institution becomes meaningless.

This is a societal issue, and I think each society should decide, based on its
values, what they want to recognize.  A salient quotation:

He accuses the Ontario court of "vastly overstepping its boundaries" in a
decision which "shut out" democratically elected representatives.

This is an example of one of my pet peeves-- legislation from the bench.  The
liberals know that the GP would never go for this in any sort of vote, so they
simply create law through judicial fiat.

JOHN

Someone has to lead... and if it's not the gov't *and* the courts, than who?

Aren't the courts supposed to be a part of the gov't?  There is a process.

Further, *any* law that excludes a person due to his or her sex is sexual
discrimination

Ah, so you are a unisex restroom proponent then.

--we're not talking changing the number of people in a
marriage--marriage is b/w *2* people

Bigot!  I and my 4 female lovers and 1 male lover are being discriminated
against!  Who says it's only between *2* people?

--refusing to allow three isn't sexual
discrimination, or not allowing the coupling of a person with a non-person >(say a dog) is not sexual discrimination

Of course it is.  The institution of marriage itself is discriminatory.

We're talking about joining a loving couple in marriage--to prevent the •  marriage
based on sex alone is against the law--the rest is just a "straw man" arguement
which has no bearing on the discrimination issue.

The issue is discrimination period.  You are conveniently deciding in which way
you want to allow the discrimination.  Society makes discriminations all the
time, based on their value system.  Discrimination is not necessarily a bad
thing, it defines a given culture's set of norms.

JOHN