 Off-Topic / Debate / 21153
Re: I think the 1st Ammendment was broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:49:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   What’s the hold-up?

Apathy on the part of hopeful americans and back-peddalling on the part of the president -- with everyone behaving like the members of a dysfunctional family until all the annoying skeletons in the closet just go away...

Under-Fire President Waters Down Claims on Iraqi Weapons

PRESIDENT BUSH insisted yesterday that US forces would reveal that Iraq was pursuing weapons of mass destruction as he tried to douse growing doubts about the credibility of American intelligence.

“Iraq had a weapons programme. Intelligence throughout the decade showed they had a weapons programme,” Mr Bush said. “I am absolutely convinced, with time, we’ll find out that they did have a weapons programme.”

However, he stopped short of his previous assertions that Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction had posed an imminent threat. Nor did he say that the United States would uncover biological and chemical agents.

Instead, he sought to justify the invasion of Iraq on humanitarian grounds, saying: “History in time will prove that the United States made the absolute right decision in freeing the people of Iraq from the clutches of Saddam Hussein.”

His comments came as the White House was forced on the back foot on several fronts, with the use of US intelligence to justify the war under growing scrutiny.

-- Hop-Frog

A weapons programme and WoMD are not the same thing. Canada has a weapons programme somewhere, I’m sure--our armed forces must have some sort of hardware for their job.

Telling a country that they can’t have a weapons program?? Telling Iraq that they couldn’t have a weapons progam was *not* the reason for this fiasco.

This is backpedalling...

This is wrong.

Where’s the accountability?

Dave K