 Off-Topic / Debate / 20766
  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) Employment laws are one of the greatest achievements of most developed countries. Do you want to return to what your grandparents had to endure, or are you not grateful that things have moved on? Our children belong in school not sweatshops. (...) (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) The true irony here is the fact that labor laws have not improved working conditions, just relocated them. The same conditions that were so horrible in this country, now exist in under developed countries, and those manafacturing jobs that (...) (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

More proof that what is really needed, but will never happen, is an economic Jubilee akin to what is described in the Old Testament. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes: <snip> (...) Who is the average person? How do you know his or her standard of living is still really good compared to other nations? Cheers Richie (21 years ago, 4-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) I wish I could locate a cite right now, but the average american believes wrongly that they are within the top 1-5% of the wealthy in the U.S. Costello believes wrongly that the average american is doing well economically, but is probably (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) Yes. Australians appear to be similar. (...) Absolutely. A good average standard of living is not necessarily an indicator that the average person has a good standard of living. I always wonder why people who would never favour dividing the (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) I am generally not a big fan of throwing out unsubstanciated numbers to back up a point, but I believe the last numbers I saw showed that the top 10% of wage earners in the US started at $75,000 a year. I also saw a survey that showed that 90% (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) <snip> (...) But you didn't make a claim that "the percentage of people in this country without a roof over their heads, electricity, and running water is much higher than in most places" in your earlier post. You claimed that "[the] standard (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) Welcome to Globalisation! It’s a pity that the market is governed by price & not ethics… (...) ... and millions go without healthcare. I understand that the Cuban system may be better than that offered to some in the USA? (...) Sure, they can (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom

(...) I agree. What matters is how happy we are. There is no point in sidelining our friends & family just to "conform". Scott A (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)