 Off-Topic / Debate / 20468
  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) Are you confusing 'capitalist' with 'democratic'? (...) A new dollar value determined every time for every transaction... Imagine the beurocracy behind that! LOL (...) Cheers Richie Dulin (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) Nope, are you? (...) I imagined it already, it's ZERO. There is no bureacracy involved.. We said *capitalist*, remember. The market does it for you. I determine a dollar value every time I do a transaction now. Don't you? Or do you buy stuff (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) Apparently so. (...) It *seems* like a good idea, it *seems* like it might work. Because all rights are property rights and all that... Okay, so I accidentally kill my neighbour. Darn it, I say. I must make recompense for the killing. Do I (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) In a manner of speaking, yes. You can expect a wrongful death lawsuit from his heirs (and insurance company) unless you settle out of court. But even so you may get some criminal penalty applied too... depending on the nature of the accident (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

So people have a value... A $$$ value I mean. Depending on their status, where they live, what they do, how they act... We are far from the "We are all equal" objective here. To me, the fact that money gets involved to settle a crime is wrong. Money (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) Ahh... so we can dispense with the beaurocracy do determine the price of the crime and build a judiciary instead. Seems like a good idea. But what is this mention of a criminal penalty? How does that fit with an 'all rights are property (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) I think breaching a contract is wrong. That's a general principle. My contract prohibits it. Why? I personally don't think that it would be a good idea for me personally to be an adulterer. So it would be wrong for me. But I am not so (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"

(...) <snipped the adultery bit> (...) Determined by a judicial process... so once again, you need a judiciary... and because your theoretical system is dynamic, values for transgressions need to be determined each and every time, so it's going to (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)