 Off-Topic / Debate / 19002
Re: Future Speech Text of George W. Bush?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:36:12 GMT

What I would like is for someone to explain why this action was fine for
Clinton but outrageous for President Bush, or is it that the Left is just a
bunch of partisan, self-serving hypocrites.

JOHN

Why don't you please note the actual speech, the actual circumstances and
then we can compare and contrast it with Bush, instead of this partisan,
self-serving attack?  And why do I get the feeling that you lifted this
"speech" from some right-wing, partisan, self-serving source rather than
wrote it yourself?  My apologies in advance if I'm wrong on that account....

Apology accepted:
http://www.fas.org/news/iraq/1998/12/19/98121913_tlt.html

Okay then, we can sweep the "It's all the Left's fault" verbiage aside.
Desert Fox was in response to Iraq expelling the UN Inspectors, and the
response was far less than the full-scale invasion that Bush is threatening
as a unilateral action without UN sanction.

FACT: Iraq did not expel the UN Inspectors [some of whom were spooks] – they
were withdrawn.

The differences between then
and now on the non-partisan front: UN inspectors have not been tossed by
Iraq.

FACT: Iraq did not expel the UN Inspectors [some of whom were spooks] – they
were withdrawn.

The proposed level of response for a lesser violation is much
greater.  The US has an unresolved problem with Al Queda terrorists that
should have first priority: Bush has not established any creditable link.

I doubt there is one, the recent OBL tape [for what it's worth] backs that view.

Clinton did not have a similiar higher priority objective.  Bush is
threatening unilateral action, which has a high liklihood of aiding the
terrorists in the long run.

I agree. Jr & Co are the best recruiters OBL could wish for! [Does he get
commission?].

Scott A

So:

1) He ain't taking care of business.  Al Queda is unresolved and this has
nothing to do with it.

2) His threatened action is without UN sanction and is considerably
different from Clinton's response to a greater and more demonstrable
violation on Iraq's part.

-->Bruce<-