 Off-Topic / Debate / 18983
Re: Future Speech Text of George W. Bush?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:04:20 GMT

Your fellow countrymen have woken up to the fact that whilst they may feel
that the USA stands for "freedom", for others is stands for the exact
opposite. They may want to sort that before the bomb a nation into a state of
"freedom".

I don't think so.  How *specifically* does American freedom *oppress* others
(unless you are talking about "religious oppression" ie our freedom is an
afront to Muslims in general, which I understand, though condemn as hateful
intolerance).

It's not so much "American freedom" as "America". To many middle-eastern
people, the US is synonomous with 'evil jerks'. Regardless of whether or not
it's a justified assessment, that's what many think.

I think the point was that people in this country, really for the first
time, felt genuinely vulnerable on 9/11. It may have made some people more
leery of "policing the world" and whatnot. In effect, despite the fact that
the US doesn't bargain with terrorists, some of its populace does. They DO
respond to fear. Hence, some people may be afraid that if we jump in and
attack Iraq, it'll only result in more terrorist attacks.

On the other hand, perhaps more sadly, is the fact that some people's
response to that fear is to make others feel vulnerable by flexing the
nation's might out of some sense of inferiority/helplessness.

DaveE